Lower Low Range

Baseshakers
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Re: Lower Low Range

Post by Baseshakers »

I remember that guy. Tried to spend his way over obstacles instead of getting seat time in.

And I absolutely agree with the start small approach. While it costs more overall, it is a great way to learn. I started with 2" BB and 32s open/LS, then lockers, then a 1.25" BL and TT, then 3" springs and 33s, then 3" springs with spacers and 35s.

And Don Rausch has something for everyone. From long scenic greens with beautiful valley views to nutty rock trails for the crazy's like Jeff and I and even "lakes" that will swallow your jeep completely. You can spend days exploring and never hit the same thing twice.

COH413, sorry, this thread has gone completely off topic. Any other questions about lower low range?
Last edited by Baseshakers on Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"god had his sh!t together when he made boobies" -franky
schwalby
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Post by schwalby »

I started with 34s and locked rear but I am also still on the bunny slopes so kind of like starting small.
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
del_TJ
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Post by del_TJ »

DDewar53 wrote:
There is no right line. Stuff like this is why I don't bother going to Rausch.
I survived my first Rausch trip on 32" tires. Would I do it again with the same setup and the same group of guys on the same trails. Hell no! I scraped everything under my jeep, broke a few things, and loosened a lot of other things. I would be able to hit the same trails again with a front locker and 33" or 35" tires. However, as others say, there's a wide range of trails from mild to wild and the concrete play area is a lot of fun.
COH143
Jeep Year: 1993
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Post by COH143 »

COH413, sorry, this thread has gone completely off topic. Any other questions about lower low range?

No more questions. Always interesting to hear the comments though. I think I will hold out for the Atlas as it is the best although most expensive option. I know I wouldn't be happy with anything less knowing the Atlas is out there. My Jeep will be worth more in parts by the time I am done, and I am sure I'll never be done.

Agree with the start small and learn via seat time too. Did that without really knowing I was doing it, and learned something every time I went out. Still am. May never be the best but I have lots of fun learning.
DOUG
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2020
Jeep Model: JT Gladiator

Post by DOUG »

COH143 wrote: May never be the best but I have lots of fun learning.

:like:
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Posimoto
Jeep Year: 1954
Jeep Model: CJ3B

Post by Posimoto »

I would suggest buying the lowmax gear set and stay away from tearlow. My friend was idling up a rock and ground down his teralow sliding gear at 400rpm. I have read of many others chewing up gears as well do a search and compare the two.
COH143
Jeep Year: 1993

Post by COH143 »

The Lowmax kits looks great and I would be interested in buying one, if I had a Dana 300. Doesn't appear to be available for the NP231. Too bad as that is a good looking gear set.

http://www.jbconversions.com/products/dana300/
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992

Post by ZAEDOCK »

Posimoto wrote:I would suggest buying the lowmax gear set and stay away from tearlow.
Read this article which justifies the statement above:

http://www.jbconversions.com/products/dana300/

FWIW, anything I have ever bought from JBConv. has been excellent. I know they compete with Advance Adapters, but I also have to say my equipment from Advance has been just as reliable.

I think if you stick to the main players in the game: AA, JBC, Novak, etc., you'll be better off.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005