lockers & re-gearing

ASauer17
BSJ BOD President
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

lockers & re-gearing

Unread post by ASauer17 »

Yes... I am asking this.. I one who will gladly raise their hand at the beginning of EVERY run and says.. "don't forget I'm open/open!"

So... the truck is put back together. I am looking at ARB air lockers for my rear dana 44 which is geared at 3.73...
Since I have been running 35 tires and 3.5 lift for a few years now, maybe it's time to re-gear and add a locker while I'm at it.

I'm looking for suggestions... ie: air lockers vs not.. selectable vs automatic. I am leaning towards no automatic lockers.

And where did you get them installed?
Last edited by ASauer17 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
98/99 TJ
2023 President
----------------------------------------
2021 Director of Events
2018 Secretary
2016 & 2017 President
2014 & 2015 Secretary
DDewar53
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: lockers & re-gearing

Unread post by DDewar53 »

I would let Lou install anything on my Jeep any time. Same with Dom
As far as lockers, don't bother with automatics. My son had one in his old 35 with 33" tires, had horrible street manners.
Get a selectable - Most people trust ARB, but I had one break on me (The carrier cracked, would have broken in half if I'd kept going. I was unlocked at the time, too.)
Right now I'm leaning more toward the electrically activated ones, either Eatons or the Auburn Gear lockers.

You'll probably find that by the time you've bought everything, whether cables, compressors and lines, or wires and switches, you'll probably end up spending about the same $
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
ASauer17
BSJ BOD President

I've been reading interesting reviews on the automatic where people are having trouble turning in snow on pavement. I've also saw alot of good reviews on Easton as well.
98/99 TJ
2023 President
2021 Director of Events
2018 Secretary
2016 & 2017 President
2014 & 2015 Secretary
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

asauer17 wrote:I've been reading interesting reviews on the automatic where people are having trouble turning in snow on pavement. I've also saw alot of good reviews on Easton as well.

I like auto lockers. You never have to worry about them and IMO they're not bad on the street. My next choice would be one of those electric lockers. I'm not fond of air lines or cables.

I've never had any trouble turning in either condition above. Even with a spool in the back (although she'll sometimes bark at me).
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
ASauer17
BSJ BOD President

Do you have any issues with it engaging when you don't want it to? AHH!!
98/99 TJ
2023 President
2021 Director of Events
2018 Secretary
2016 & 2017 President
2014 & 2015 Secretary
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

I've ripped out an ARB air line once... Other than that I've had zero problems with ARBs front + rear.

The air line could have been repaired on the trail, if I'd really been in a bind and I'd needed to do it.

I opted to replace the stock soft line with SS braid wrapped line for the parts that are going to be under the jeep / exposed to wear & tear.

I think the e-lockers are probably worth a look... I think Ryan had been using them and my friend Edric has used them.

The "hidden" cost with ARBs is the air line + plumbing... It always works out to more $ than you expect, especially if you want to integrate it with a general OBA system.

JW
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

asauer17 wrote:Do you have any issues with it engaging when you don't want it to? AHH!!
All the time. :lol:
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Lou is a hater of ARB and will be insistent that they are not suitable for new england. I went back and forth with him and he basically didnt want to isntal it. I can speak for myself and say that I really like the ARB for the past year or so. If you go with the larger new pump you can use it for OBA as well. He pushes OX heavily.

Also with 3.73 you are at the carrier break point where if you re-gear later you will need a new locker again. I went with 4.88s in my 5 speed and Im pretty happy with things overall. Still need a tiny bit of hand throttle to keep from stalling but a 4:1 should fix that someday.. :cool:
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
ASauer17
BSJ BOD President

Thanks a bunch guys!! Dont think I'd go with an automatic locker. And, I plan on re gearing at the same time. Changing the rear to 4.57 or 4.88, since I am right on the edge.

I'm trying to keep an open mind with brands and types.
98/99 TJ
2023 President
2021 Director of Events
2018 Secretary
2016 & 2017 President
2014 & 2015 Secretary
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

The break point in a Dana 44 is 3.92 not 3.73 . I have autos ft&rear. With front hubs its not an issue on the street. The only thing you have to deal with in having an auto , is knowing that on a tight corner a tire is gonna bark. Its really not that bad. You can install them yourself saving money and there are simple and reliable. There is a unit on the market , I forget the brand but its a limited slip when off and of course a locker when on. That seams to be about your best option. With 35s, I installed 4.56 and still am wishing that I had chosen 4.88. I only have a 4 speed and I assume yours is a 5 speed so if your gonna regear go 88s . FjR68
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

well frank do you really think she will go from 3.73 to 3.92 :lol: but I do stand corrected. ;)
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
ChrisD
Jeep Year: 2003

lockers & re-gearing

Unread post by ChrisD »

Frank... Not true for a D44 under a TJ, it's 3.73 and up and 3.55 down. I would go 4.88 for 35's.

I am running ARB F&R with 4.56 32" and love the setup!
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Everything I could find showed the 3.73/3.92 carrier break, but whatever - if there is a 3 series trash-lok, you'd probably have to use an odd-ball thick ring gear. Not that spending a couple of grand and ending up with a poopty factory (un)limited slip would be good.

Detroit Locker [X]
ChrisD
Jeep Year: 2003

Unread post by ChrisD »

WOW I am seeing written both ways, without stating what is different about the carrier.

Amanda -

- How much road driving are you going to do with the jeep?
- What if you install a aussie locker in the front to start with, then jump up to a selectable in the rear?

Question for everyone... Is it ok to run a LP D30 Locked with 35's? I know a HP D30 can handle it, but I thought it was risky with a LP D30.
Widow Maker
Jeep Year: 1997

Unread post by Widow Maker »

I've run an Aussie Lunchbox Locker in the front of my rig going on 4 years now (Dana 30) and I have NO complaints with it. Granted it gets squirrelly in deep snow or greasy mud but I've gotten used to the way it handles. It also "clicks" when going around a corner when not engaged. My Detroit Soft Locker for the rear Dana 44 is being shipped as I speak since I am still OPEN in the back.

Not replacing my 3.73 gears that I installed 2 years ago - going to rebuild my transfer case to a 4:1 ratio with either a Tera Low or JB Conversions LoMax kit. Good luck with your final choice Amanda!